Museum and Park

The Salado Museum and College Park was established to preserve and promote the pioneer history of Salado and the diverse nationalities that settled this area. Chief among these are the Scots. One of the earliest group of settlers in the Salado area was the Robertson Colony established here in 1825, a group of 600 families most of whom were Scots. Because of this colonization, 16 counties in Central Texas are named for men with Scottish surnames.

Since 1959, the Salado Museum has honored those early Scottish pioneers. Today the museum houses a collection of artifacts, books and papers that document the settlement and heritage of this area and hosts educational programs and exhibits throughout the year in a beautiful 100-year-old stone building across from the historic Stagecoach Inn in downtown Salado.

College Park, just south of the museum, is the location of the ruins and grounds of historic Salado College. Plaques throughout the park tell the story of Salado College built in 1860 by visionary pioneers who established an educational facility for students grade one through two years of college based on the then unheard of belief that both men and women deserve equal access to higher education in a nondenominational setting.

The Museum and Wee Scots shop are open free of charge.  See our hours of operation here.