**The Salado Scottish Gathering is, of course, in the same situation as all other organizations trying to plan upcoming events in the midst of the Covid pandemic. As of today, we have decided to proceed as usual for the November Gathering, but will make a final decision on July 31.**
The three-day event includes the skirl of the bagpipes, the wearing of the tartan, tossing the caber, Highland dancing, Celtic entertainers, shopping, food and fun. One of the event’s main features is the Clan Village, the largest gathering of Scottish Clan tents in Texas where Clan members share information about Scottish history and genealogy.
The 59th Scottish Gathering and Highland Games will be held November 13-15. Heralding all things Scottish, this landmark event is the oldest Scottish festival in Texas and has been sponsored continuously by the Central Texas Area Museum, now Salado Museum and College Park, since 1961.
Bagpipes and Drums! | Highland Dancers! | Scottish Athletics! | Men in Kilts! | Colorful Clan Tents! | Shopping, food and fun!
Tickets to events and the Gathering can be purchased in advance online or by mail. Click here for details. You may also purchase tickets at the gate. Remember, children 5 and under are free.
The weekend begins on Friday evening with the Calling of the Clans at 6:00 pm on the Salado Creekside just north of the Museum building. This is a solemn torchlight ceremony that recreates the coming together of the ancient Scottish clans to fight with Robert the Bruce for Scotland’s freedom in 1314 at Bannockburn.
Following the Calling, a Welcome Social and Buffet Supper will be held in the Hall of the Clans at the Museum.
On Saturday (9am – 6pm) and Sunday (9am – 3pm), join us at the Gathering grounds to enjoy all things Scottish.
- Visit the Clan Village … the largest gathering of Scottish Clan tents in Texas where Clan members share information about Scottish history and genealogy.
- Watch the Scottish Heavy Athletics competition; Highland Dance competitions; and Bagpipe and Drumming competitions and performances.
- Visit the Entertainment Tent to hear Scottish singers and musicians.
- Browse the large selection of Scottish goods in the vendor tents.
- Enjoy delicious Scottish and Texas fare in the Food Court.
Entrance to the grounds includes the Texas Tattoo at 4:30 pm featuring Bagpipe Bands, Highland dancers, Scottish singers and more.
OPENING CEREMONIES begin at 12 noon with a Band and Clan Parade followed by presentations and piping on the field.
Additional Sunday events include:
- The Kirkin’ o’ the Tartan – a traditional devotional service in which family groups carry banners of their family tartans and ask blessings on the families.
- Scottish Dog Parade and Contest
- Children’s Highland Athletic Games
The full schedule of events for this year’s Gathering can be viewed here.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU IN SALADO
FOR THE GATHERING OF THE CLANS
AND A CELEBRATION OF ALL THINGS SCOTTISH!